reanalysis of "mondo"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jul 12 20:05:26 UTC 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      reanalysis of "mondo"
> --------
>
> Anu Garg's wordsmith list, <wsmith at wordsmith.org>, just sent out this
> nice example of reanalysis I hadn't thought of:
> =================
> mondo (mon-DO) adjective
>
>     Huge; enormous; ultimate.
>
> adverb
>
>     Extremely, very.
>
> [After 1966 movie Mondo Bizarro (literally "Bizarre World" but
> interpreted
> as "very bizarre"), where mondo is from the 1961 Italian movie Mondo
> Cane

" ... mondo is from the 1961 Italian movie Mondo Cane ..."

Who wrote this? Clarence Majors?

I saw both of these movies. They were worth whatever it cost to see a
movie in those days, but the scene showing the teen-aged Lapp girls
castrating reindeer by literally biting their nuts off could have been
left out. OTOH, I must admit that that scene was quite memorable. I
certainly can't recall anything else from either of these flicks, other
than their titles.

-Wilson