"Bringer" shows

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 13 03:41:49 UTC 2005

A comic interviewed in today's Gothamist.com laments the state of today's
standup comedy, especially the "bringer show." A comedian must bring a certain
amount of paying guests with him or her. Paging mom and dad--not that you'd
want  them in the audience.
How old is this? Did it start in New York?
(GOOGLE)
_Making It On Stage – Finding A Place to  Perform_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/stand_up_comedian/114615&e=
912)
A bringer show means that, in  order to perform, a comedian must bring a
certain
... The advantage to  a bringer show is the opportunity to perform in an  ...
www.suite101.com/article.cfm/stand_up_comedian/114615 - 33k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:uL3Qs17kqlIJ:www.suite101.com/article.cfm/stand_
up_comedian/114615+"bringer+show"&hl=en&start=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.suite101.com/art
icle.cfm/stand_up_comedian/114615)
_Bring Your Act and the Audience -- Regarding Bringer  Shows_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=7&q=http://www.comedyworkshops.com/bringer_show.html&e=9
12)
... A Bringer Show is  where the amount of stage time a comic gets is equal
to how many audience  members they bring. The “Bringer Show ...
www.comedyworkshops.com/bringer_show.html - 4k - Supplemental  Result -
_Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Xcz4smsSg4sJ:www.comedyworkshops.com/bringer_show.html+"bringer+show"&hl=en&start=7&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.comedyworkshops.co
m/bringer_show.html)
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_New Bringer Show - NYC_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup/browse_thread/thread/7ae2ba5bc68ee4f1/3e20f513681876cf?q="bringer+show"&rnu
m=1&hl=en#3e20f513681876cf)
... for booking information. This is a standard "Bringer"  show (comics must
bring THREE paying audience members). Superior  comics may ...
_alt.comedy.standup_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup?hl=en)  -  Nov 25 2001, 11:08 pm by  Danny Long - 6 messages - 6 authors
_Performing for your Parents(was: Look at me...)_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup/browse_thread/thread/fc9a7503668e78df/372ecc322844
deb6?q="bringer+show"&rnum=40&hl=en#372ecc322844deb6)
... she never finds out. My father found out because I brought my  brother
and his friends to a bringer show. When I finally  brought ...
_alt.comedy.standup_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup?hl=en)  -  Jul 30 1999, 2:57 pm by  Kyria - 24 messages - 20 authors

_NYC  - "Bring two paying guests"_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup/browse_thread/thread/4131847deb1c1240/b58f5cd23d9a8266?q="bringer
+shows"&rnum=44&hl=en#b58f5cd23d9a8266)
... Without taking this  personally, I have seen the reason that a lot of
clubs do not
promote  their "bringer shows." Its because the club cannot always  guarantee
_alt.comedy.standup_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup?hl=en)  - Jul 26  1999, 9:08 pm by Matthew Dean - 16 messages - 14 authors

_Become  a headliner ??? Just get bodies in the club ??_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup/browse_thread/thread/19ed37f55aa3f7ee/f1026
a7bd4f7d906?q="bringer+shows"&rnum=45&hl=en#f1026a7bd4f7d906)
But  sometimes that's the only choice you've got in order to be seen. My
suggestion
is you start doing these "bringer" shows until  they get familiar with you.
_alt.comedy.standup_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comedy.standup?hl=en)  - Jan 4  1998, 8:03 am by Baldguy96 - 16 messages - 12 authors