Alice Kahn & "Yuppie"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 13 16:02:47 UTC 2005

ALICE KAHN & "YUPPIE"
Alice Kahn received much credit for coining "yuppie" in 1982 or 1983--now
ruled out by that 1981 citation.
(GOOGLE)
_Alice J. Kahn, NP_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.permanente.net/kaiser/pages/c10080-top.html&e=912)
If  you've ever used the term "yuppie," you've quoted Alice  Kahn, NP, who
works
in Addiction Medicine in Oakland. Alice was  the first to coin the phrase, ...
www.permanente.net/kaiser/pages/c10080-top.html - 20k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:VhRGXAWrg10J:www.permanente.net/kaiser/pages/c10080-to
p.html+yuppie+alice+kahn&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.permanente.net/kaiser/pag
es/c10080-top.html)
_¤ Bezza - Re: Narsai, two Alices, Corby Kummer,  "Yuppie!"_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=10&q=http://www.bezza.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1
563&e=912)
... Alice > >  Kahn's incisive 1982 parody essay "Yuppie!" in the _East Bay
Express_
(I > > still have a stack of originals somewhere, and it was  reprinted
elsewhere ...
www.bezza.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1563 - 25k -  Supplemental Result
- _Cached_
(http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:d_X5FVeTy7EJ:www.bezza.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1563+yuppie+alice+kahn&hl=en&start=10&ie=UTF-8)
- _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.bezza.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1563)

> > But mainstreaming of good ideas is a  tradition for popular media. Alice
> > Kahn's  incisive 1982 parody essay "Yuppie!"  in the _East Bay Express_ (I
> > still have a stack of originals  somewhere, and it was reprinted
elsewhere)
> > coined or popularized a  buzzword, but the demographic sightings behind it
> > had already  happened repeatedly in print. (She did give them
> > personality --  Dirk and Bree, both aged 32.2.)
[PDF] _ifda dossier 80_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=11&q=http://www.dhf.uu.se/ifda/readerdocs/pdf/doss_80.pdf&e=912)
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - _View as HTML_
(http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:EkuZr4aAMPUJ:www.dhf.uu.se/ifda/readerdocs/pdf/doss_80.pdf+yuppie+alic
e+kahn&hl=en&start=11&ie=UTF-8)
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google  recommends visiting
our _text version_
(http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:EkuZr4aAMPUJ:www.dhf.uu.se/ifda/readerdocs/pdf/doss_80.pdf+yuppie+alice+kahn&hl=en&start=11&ie=UTF-
8)  of this  document.
Alice Kahn, whose. 1983. article in  the San Francisco. Chroticle,. brought to
public attention and coined the  word "yuppie", in. her new book My Life ...
www.dhf.uu.se/ifda/readerdocs/pdf/doss_80.pdf - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.dhf.uu.se/ifda/readerdocs/pdf
/doss_80.pdf)
OT: "BIG APPLE" CAMPAIGN
I just looked it up again. The 4-to-1 match applies to  anyone living in the
five boroughs, not just Manhattan.
The New York Times article today mentions the union  endorsements for
Assemblyman Scott Stringer. He's a long-time mediocrity, a  charter member of the
worst legislature in the country. He ran for Public  Advocate four years ago and
lost. He's a career politician who sold out a long  time ago to the city's
powerful labor unions--just awful.
Administrative law judge? How about saying that I have  a popular blog and I
solved "the Big Apple"?
_http://nytimes.com/2005/07/13/nyregion/metrocampaigns/13manhattan.html?pagewa
nted=all_
(http://nytimes.com/2005/07/13/nyregion/metrocampaigns/13manhattan.html?pagewanted=all)
Assemblyman Gains Support for Manhattan Borough Post

By _JONATHAN P. HICKS_
(http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=JONATHAN P. HICKS&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=JONATHAN P.
HICKS&inline=nyt-per)
Published: July 13, 2005
In the crowded race for Manhattan borough president, one  candidate is
emerging from the pack with prominent union endorsements:  Assemblyman Scott
Stringer, who plans to announce the backing of the city  teachers' union and several
other labor organizations today.

In addition to the support of the United Federation of Teachers, Mr.
Stringer, a Democrat from the Upper West Side, will also be endorsed by Local  32BJ
of the Service Employees International Union, which represents janitors;  the
Communications Workers of America; the Uniformed Fire Officers Association;
and Unite Here, which represents hotel, restaurant and apparel workers.
The endorsements are significant for Mr. Stringer in a Democratic primary of
nine candidates, a race where each of the candidates is looking for any
possible  advantage. The various unions represent about 65,000 members who live in
Manhattan.
"Scott has always worked hard for us," said Michael Fishman, the president of
 Local 32BJ. "He has walked the picket line with us, and he's been there when
we  needed him. Scott has worked with us on the fight for minimum wage, and
he has  worked with us and all the other unions very well."
Randi Weingarten, the president of the teachers' union, said Mr. Stringer was
 "like the Eveready battery bunny: He's a tireless worker and a fighter." She
 added, "The Manhattan borough president race is blessed with several great
candidates, and it was a very difficult decision in weighing the  candidates."
Mr. Stringer said the endorsements would help his campaign. "And this is
tremendous boroughwide boost to my campaign," he said. "It means having a lot of
people out there on my behalf who are used to campaigning on the streets and
delivering the message to people."
The others in the race for borough president include three City Council
members, Bill Perkins, who represents Harlem; Eva S. Moskowitz from the Upper
East Side; and Margarita López, who represents the Lower East Side and the East
Village. Other candidates are Stanley Michels, a former councilman;
Assemblyman  Adriano Espaillat, who represents Washington Heights; Assemblyman Keith L.
T.  Wright of Harlem; Carlos Manzano, a former city administrator who is
active in  Democratic Party politics; and Brian V. Ellner, a lawyer who was elected
to the  District 2 community school board and served until last year.
Barry Popik, who is an administrative law judge, is a Republican  candidate.