bomb disposal terms

Thu Jul 14 16:27:20 UTC 2005

Mulvaney on Bomb Disposal, Supplement to Intelligence Bulletin No. 85,
Sergeant Robert Vittur, dated 15 September 1945.
online at: http://www.multicians.org/thvv/mulvaney.html

p. 1

B.D. (= Bomb Disposal.  Not in OED)
"These Russians are very secretive about there B.D. methods."

p. 3

Chewning (Not in OED.  I can't find any other uses of this word anywhere
else, but it is clear from context that it has some meaning within the
bomb disposal community. It is a moderately common surname, though.)

"I don't give a hoot if it is "just as good", Mulvaney -- you get down
and work that Chewning right!!"

p. 4

UXB (= Unexploded Bomb; OED has 1955)
"Danger UXB"

p. 10

Fire in the hole (Not in OED; means "an explosion is about to happen")
"Fire in th' Hole!!"

p. 18
Shaped Charge (OED has 1948)
"You needn't be quite so meticulous with those shaped charges, Hubert."

p. 21
propeller head (OED has 1983.  The term is not used, but a cartoon of a
man with a propeller sticking out of his head, asking a doctor "Is my
case uncommon, doc?" is shown, implying that the term may go back to
1945 and originate with bomb disposal technicians.)