bomb disposal terms

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jul 17 19:48:27 UTC 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: bomb disposal terms
> --------
>
> OK, Wilson, were you betting a "fat man" as a kid ?  I have nothing
> before 1965.
>
> JL

Unfortunately, I can't even hazard a guess as to when I first heard or
read the phrase. It didn't grab my conscious attention till the moment
that I eventually realized that the expression contained a pun. I have
the feeling that that moment of enlightenment didn't come till long
after 1965.

However, I'm still certain that I personally originated the term,
"pimpmobile," in 1963, though. ;-)

-Wilson