bomb disposal terms

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jul 17 20:35:55 UTC 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: bomb disposal terms
> --------
>
> "Fire in the hole ! " is also U.S. usage at least since WW II.

I know this only as a literary term. But I was lucky enough never to
have to deal with munitions other than a hand grenade and a bazooka
shell. The lifer NCO's, *literally* foaming at the mouth as they
remembered what they'd been through, used to say, "If you men ever see
combat - and, by GOD, I hope you never do! - and, fortunately, I never
did. The training film on how to locate and disarm anti-personnel land
mines using only one's bare hands and a bayonet was enough to scare the
shit out of me! And there wasn't a single explosion in the film.

-Wilson