"djinn up"

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Jul 19 22:07:36 UTC 2005

Hmm...I'm hesitant to mention this, because it seems somewhat far-fetched,
but there's at least a conceivable link via this meaning to Arnold's
original "ginger" idea.  I'm not sure what the point of the practice was,
or is, but "gingering" a horse means smearing some concoction, of which
ginger is presumably the main ingredient, into the horse's rectum to make
it prance and step lively.  I heard only "gingering", never "gingering up"
for this, but I think the only time I heard it at all was when someone told
me about the practice and explained it, so for all I know it might have
been used at least sometimes with "up".

Peter

--On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:36 PM -0700 "Arnold M. Zwicky"