ADS: Nominations Sought for Outstanding Students

Wed Jul 20 18:05:42 UTC 2005

Joan Hall asked me to post this to the list:

American Dialect Society President Joan Houston Hall invites
nominations of excellent students for three Presidential Honorary
Memberships, to be awarded at the Society’s January 2006 annual
meeting in Albuquerque. Presidential Honorary Memberships entitle the
recipients to four years of complimentary membership from 2006 to
2009. Recipients who attend the annual meeting will also be guests at
the Society’s annual luncheon and will be recognized publicly on that
occasion. The aim of the awards is to encourage interest and
participation of our best prospects.

Any ADS member may nominate a student, graduate or undergraduate, who
shows outstanding aptitude for and interest in our field. There is no
application form. Instead, the sponsoring ADS member is asked to send
a letter detailing the nominee’s qualifications, together with
supporting materials (if possible) such as a paper written under the
sponsor’s supervision. Hall’s postal address is 6125 Helen White
Hall, 600 North Park Street, Madison, WI 53706.

If you wish, you are welcome to send a preliminary inquiry to Hall at
jdhall at wisc.edu .

Deadline for submitting nominations is December 9, 2005.