siditty, saditty (1963), siddity (1965)

Wed Jul 20 18:36:34 UTC 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 02:45, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
> Can it be derived from the same etymon as "dicty"? If one can
> assume a Scots adjective "dichty" I suppose one can postulate "sae
> dichty" = "so dichty" too ( as in "Dinna be sae dichty!").

This is an interesting theory, particularly given that the Dictionary
of the Scots Language (online for no charge at <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/
dsl/>) has many senses for the verbs "dight" and "dicht" that denote
arraying apparel, and cleaning or preparing. Might there be some
transference on the idea of excess fastidiousness, dandification, or
putting on airs?

<http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?
query=dight&sset=1&fset=20&printset=20&searchtype=full&dregion=form&dtex
t=all>

<http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?
plen=20183&startset=12590104&query=Dicht&fhit=Dicht&dregion=form&dtext=d
ost#fhit>

Grant Barrett
gbarret at worldnewyork.org