Nitty-gritty (1947, 1948)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 22 16:29:16 UTC 2005

I've waited on the African-American stuff (nitty gritty, et al.) until the Schomburg Library material (New York Public Library) becomes available. Anyone know the status? The NYPL planned to digitize just about everything prior to about 1930, and stuff after that as well. ProQuest signed an agreement with the Schomburg Library. It was supposed to be available this summer.
OT: As many of your know, I'm incredibly busy...I went to a Republican women barbecue last night. Not that I wanted to barbecue Republican women...Everything is incredibly difficult. I can't even find any web guy, to simply put photos on my web site, for pay, and it's almost August. And a T-shirt guy for the Big Apple T-shirts to sell at street fairs. And I need a new treasurer. And I now have a girlfriend who requires constant attention every night, and beats me how that happened...
We walked out of the National Republican Women's Club at West 51st Street just West of Fifth Avenue at Rockefeller Center, and there at the Michelangelo Hotel on 51st and 6th Avenue was a place called "Lemoncillo." I could comment on that thread, but I ain't got time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:54:02 -0700
Subject: Re: Nitty-gritty (1947, 1948)

Fabulous.

JL

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> _Richmond Afro American_ (Richmond VA), 25 Oct. 1947: p. 4(?):
> <> education and democracy which only became more nebulous the closer he got
> to the nitty-gritty of actually putting them into practice.>>

Here's earlier:

nitty-gritty (OED 1952)

1942 _Phylon_ III. 338 The real "nitty gritty" is a poem in the "Lenox
Avenue" section called "Shakespeare in Harlem."

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com