duck tape?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 23 14:11:26 UTC 2005

So I was right then but I'm dumber now !  Ha !

...I think.

JL

John McChesney-Young <panis at PACBELL.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: John McChesney-Young

Subject: Re: duck tape?

Margaret Lee wrote:

> I was at Home Depot the other day and saw duct
> tape spelled as "duck tape" on the package
> label.
> Has anyone else seen this spelling? Is it an
> eggcorn?

See:

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/DT101/index.html

for a full explanation, which boils down to "Duck" as both the original
name for the tape and now a trademark of Duck brand (a division of
Henkel Consumer Adhesives) in Avon, Ohio. The tape got its name from its
ability to shed water and the maker's use of cloth duck for a layer.

The Wikipedia entry is worth looking at too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

John

--

*** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
California, U.S.A. ***