State of swearing in London, 1675

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 23 22:17:49 UTC 2005

The following exchange has not, I believe, been adduced previously.  The source is the amusing anonymous comedy, _The Woman turn'd Bully_ (London: T. Dring, 1675), I i
(Cf. Owen Wister's _Virginian_ of 1902 : "When you call me that, smile!")

"Fran.

...To swear like a Gentleman, is to swear in a new Phrase, and with a full mouth. I know a Lady neer the place where I was born, that never encouraged her Children with Apples or Sugar-plums, but when they had invented some handsome new Oath, as, By my Mothers Maidenhead, or, By my Fathers dapple Mare; or rather than none at all, a Rapper would content her, so that it came in, in a right place, and had a good Emphasis. I have seen her little Imps of four or five years old swear as heartily for a Breakfast, as e're I heard our Chaplain pray.

B. Good.

But may not a man hope for an indifferent good Behaviour without such blunt downright Prophaneness?

Fran.

If you converse only with Ladies, indeed, why you may do pretty well if you have often, Gad Madam, and, As I hope to live Madam, and the like. But e'faith Sir, if you have to do with a Coach-man or a Mechanick, you must be at it with, Damn me ye Son of a Tinker, or you'll do no good.

B. Good.

Why Son of a Tinker?

Fran.

Oh Sir, that's a new Phrase, and much more significant, than Son of a Whore: Alas, that's grown so common, as 'tis become a term of indearment, only to be used to Friends and Familiars; as what's more usual, than Dear Son of a Whore, how I love thee! No body's asham'd of Son of a Whore, but a Son of a Tinker is not company for a Footboy.---Then young Gentleman, can you Curse well?

B. Good.

Faith, Franck, I doubt, not.

Fran.

Why there's it; yet you may perhaps when you're moved. But above all, have a care when any one offends you, not to cry A Pox take him, or The Devil take him, for these are (as I said before) Terms of Friendship. Is there any thing more ready, than A Pox take thee Jack, where hast thou been all this while? and for the other business, it is so innocent, we use it of our selves; as, The Devil take me, Sir, that's a good Iest.

B. Good.

'Tis very true.

Fran.

Therefore I think a more terrible way of Execration would be to say of your Enemy, May he never see his Mistriss's Eyes again; or May his Taylor never trust him: But this, Sir, I leave to your Discretion."

Helping history leap to life,

JL