duck tape?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Jul 24 02:56:35 UTC 2005

 Jonathan  writes:
.....'After the war, the tape was used in the booming housing industry to
connect heating and air conditioning duct work together. Soon, the color
was changed from Army green to silver to match the ductwork and people
started to refer to duck tape as "Duct Tape."'
~~~~~~~~
I don't claim that the tape used to tape the furnace duct joints together
was called "duct tape."  I don't know that it *had* a name, but its use
antedates WWII, and its adhesive was not the  contact sort.
In those days passepartout was the tape for mending torn paper   and brown
paper tape with water-based glue that tasted like boiled horsehide did
heavier-duty jobs.
A. Murie