get one's habits on/get beside oneself

Barbara H Hudson bhhudson at AUXMAIL.IUP.EDU
Sun Jul 24 19:57:21 UTC 2005

Wilson Gray asked about "get/have one habits on" and "get beside
oneself"

      I have heard the first expression only in the lyrics of a song
      by the Blues Brothers' called, "I Don't Know":

      The woman I love has got devil in her jaw
      Clothes she's wearing made out of the best of cloth
      She can take em and wash 'em put 'em upside the wall
      She can throw 'em out a window, pick 'em up a little before
     they fall.
      SOMETIMES I THINK YOU GOT YOUR HABITS ON
      She said you shouldn't say that
      I said what did I say to make you mad this time baby?
      She said Umm...

I have never understood what the singers were referring to, but I am
getting a little better understaning of what they mean.

As for the second phrase, I have often heard this expression
used as a warning to younger people who may be trying to act "too
grown" too soon.

Barbara Hill Hudson
http://www.africanamericanfemalecommunication.com