duck tape? gaffers/gaffer tape?

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Tue Jul 26 03:15:30 UTC 2005

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: duck tape? gaffers/gaffer tape?
>
>No "pusser's tape" in OED.

According to UK, Canadian, Aussie websites, among others, pusser is all
over the RN, derived from purser/paymaster, and used to refer to anything
issued by the RN (or its pursurs), including, notably, Pusser Rum, when the
RN still served a daily tot.  Pusser Rum is now available commercially.
Some pusser Naval Slang examples:

http://www.navalslang.co.uk/P.htm
>Pusser
>
>The Royal Navy
>

>Pusser's
>
>Something belonging to the Royal Navy
>

>Pusser's Hard
>
>Carbolic soap
>

>Pusser's Dirk
>
>A Seaman's clasp knife

I don't see a lot of 'pusser's tape' on google (just the one already posted).

Michael McKernan