duck tape? gaffers/gaffer tape?

Tue Jul 26 17:02:09 UTC 2005

When I first hired in at Redstone Arsenal, in the early 1980's, we used
something called "missile tape" around the lab (Redstone Arsenal is the
home of the U.S. Army's tactical missile programs).  It was much like
duct tape, except it wasn't shiny (it had a olive drab color, like much
Army stuff), and the glue wasn't as gummy.  It was cloth based, and came
in rolls the same size as duct tape.  It cost more than duct tape did,
and was generally considered to be of higher quality than duct tape.
The group I'm currently in doesn't use it, and I haven't heard the term
in 10 or 15 years.