ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jul 26 20:20:15 UTC 2005

On Jul 26, 2005, at 2:46 PM, James A. Landau wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207)
> --------
>
> of no particular importance, but they strike my curiosity
>
> In a message dated Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:16:16 -0500,  "Mullins, Bill"
> _Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL_ (mailto:Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL)    cites:
>
>> THE ARGOT OF THE STUDIO WORKERS By GLENDON ALLVINE.
>> New  York Times; Feb 3, 1935; pg. X4 col 4.
>>    <snip>
>>  OFF TO BUFFALO -- Hurry up, or exit with all possible  speed."
>
> is this perhaps related to the expression "shuffle off to Buffalo"?
>
>>   <snip>
>>  "PIG -- Current  transformer."
>

> "pig" for "transformer" is electrical power jargon since at least the
> mid-60's, when I heard it from an electrical engineer roommate in
> college.   Most
> commonly found as "pole pig", a transformer up on a telephone  pole.
>
> A wild guess at the etymology is that a transformer resembles an ingot
> of
> iron in shape and perhaps in size, and cast iron ingots have been
> referred to as
>  "pig iron" since, according to one account, Catalan ironworkers
> invented
> cast  iron back in the Middle Ages.  The reason for the term "pig
> iron" is that
> the ingots in their molds reminded the ironworkers of a mother pig
> feeding her
>  piglets.
>
> Wilson Gray writes :"Remember when "uptight" was "up
> tight" and also  had a positive meaning that was once more widespread
> than the negative  one?"
>
> This may not be very relevant, but when I was in Basic Training in
> 1969 a
> sergeant when he wanted to compliment you said "your shit is up tight".

You got an actual compliment from a cadre member while still in Basic?
That *is* up tight, not to mention outta sight! You must have been some
"sharp soldier," if that phrase was still used in your day,

>    I've
> never been able to hear the term "uptight" since without thinking of a
>  DI.

In my day - late '50's - "D[ril]I[instructor]" was only a marine
expression disdained by the War (black GI slang term for the Army).
Unfortunately, I'm having a senior moment and I can't recall what the
term in use was in those days. I "have an inkling in the back of my
thinking-cap" that "instructor" was also part of the Army term, but
that's all I can come up with.

> Wilson Gray writes "FWIW, The Movie Channel once showed brief
> infomercials
> between movies.
> The one that featured gaffer's tape showed it looking a lot  more like
> what I know as "electrician's tape" - smooth, black, stretchy  plastic
> -
> and not at all like duck/duct tape - textured, silvery,  non-stretchy
> cloth"
>
> A problem here is that, back in the 1950's when my father was teaching
> me
> carpentry and wiring, there was no such thing as

>  "electrician's tape".

To paraphrase a line from an old movie, "Among yidn, a goy is no yid,
But, among goyim, a goy can be a yid." That is, though electricians may
know that there's no such thing as "electrician's tape,"
non-electricians "know" that there is. It's like civilians not knowing
the difference between "As you were!" and "Carry on!"

-Wilson Gray