greaser

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Wed Jul 27 21:00:38 UTC 2005

Having searched the ADS-L archives to no avail, and having no personal
access to HDAS or OED, etc., I wonder if someone will do me the favor of
posting the current antedating for 'greaser(s)' (=pejorative for
Mexican(s)/Hispanics).

Noticed the following, but I assume the usage is much older.

>Winfield [Kansas] Courier, September 25, 1884.
>
>Miss Jessie Millington returned last Monday evening from a three months=
>sojourn in New Mexico. She reports a good time and quaint
>and curious are the descriptions of life as seen among the ancient Pueblos
>and the more modern greasers. She may be induced to write up some of her
>observations for the COURIER.

Thanks,

Michael McKernan