racial epithets

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Jul 30 19:28:06 UTC 2005

>In a 1930 _AmSp_ article ("Language of the Speakeasy" by C.P.M.), "bird's
>eye maple" is given as an alternative to "high yaller". A 1944 _Phylon_
>article ("Nicknames and Minority Groups" by Wilmoth A. Carter) repeats
>this information. Are there any additional cites for this epithet? I don't
>see any.

This may not always be an epithet; maybe it's just descriptive sometimes
(see below). Whether the "bird's-eye" part adds anything specific I don't
know: possibilities would include (1) a connotation of high quality or
price (bird's-eye maple is considered more interesting than ordinary maple
and preferred for furniture, Rolls Royce dashboards, etc., I think) or (2)
an unusual pattern, maybe of freckles or something like that.

When used exactly as an alternative to "high yellow", I suppose the
expression MIGHT have embodied a sort of joke, with "bird's-eye" equated to
"high" (based on "bird'eye view" = "[panoramic] view from a high place").

"Maple" used alone as a skin color is not unknown.

_Idaho Daily Statesman_ (Boise ID), 7 April 1901: p. 9(?):

[George Ade: "Modern Fables"]

[an older lady (race not specified, therefore I think probably 'white')
wants some beautifications]

<<She had a Bird's-Eye Maple Complexion .... / ... "If you can ...give me
some perfumed Dope that will restore a Peaches and Cream Complexion ....">>