GWOT/GSAVE: WOTY?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 31 22:42:21 UTC 2005

Surely the wordsmiths behind "GSAVE" didn't notice that "G" resonates with both "God" and "George."

Obviously coincidental.

BTW, Sen. Rick Santorum (R.-PA) wears a bracelet showing the word "family" can be an acronym for "Forget About Me, I Love You."  (It's true !  I tested it !)  The acronym was apparently created by Fr. Stan Fortuna and used in his song, "F.A.M.I.L.Y." (2000).

According to http://www.francescoproductions.com/pages/ss2review.html, Fr. Stan is both a  Franciscan friar and a "rapping priest."

Hard to believe, but as yet no website is explicitly declaring the phrase (or its folk variant, "Father And Mother, I Love You") to be the actual etymology of the word "family."

JL

Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
Subject: GWOT/GSAVE: WOTY?

There's been much discussion this past week about the administration's
"rebranding" of the Global War on Terrorism, now to be known as the Global
Struggle Against Violent Extremism. A Slate column by Fred Kaplan
discusses the acronymic rationale for the slogan-switch:

-----
http://slate.msn.com/id/2123412/

Look at the first letters of Global War on Terrorism. GWOT. What does that
mean; how is it pronounced? Gwot? Too frivolously rowdy, like a fight
scene in a Marvel comic book (Bam! Pfooff! Gwot!). Gee-wot? Sounds like a
garbled question (Gee what?).

Then look at Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism. Its acronym is
GSAVE — i.e., gee-save. We're out to save the world, see, not wage war on
it. Or, as national security adviser Stephen Hadley puts it in the Times
piece, "We need to dispute both the gloomy vision and offer a positive
alternative."
-----

This might not be so far-fetched an explanation, since the Global War on
Terrorism was indeed abbreviated as GWOT by the military. The initialism
dates at least to Dec. 2003, when a report was published by the Army War
College critical of the Bush administration's handling of GWOT:

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/ssi/pubs/2003/bounding/bounding.pdf
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8435-2004Jan11.html

The blogosphere is now abuzz with GWOT and GSAVE, so they might be worthy
of consideration for WOTY.

--Ben Zimmer