Re:       Re: Eggcorn? disassemble

Wed Jun 1 01:26:22 UTC 2005

In a message dated 5/31/05 9:14:48 PM, dcamp at CHILITECH.NET writes:

> [...]

It isn't only Bush, of course. Anyone in the public eye gets this kind of
close scrutiny. One gets the impression from all this that Bush is not very
bright--that, whereas Reagan just had the good sense to read the cue cards, Bush
strikes out on his own. So I guess we should be proud of his courage.

Eisenhower was another one who was frequently made fun of for his
press-conference manner of speaking,though, as I recall, the reporters didn't so much
question his diction as his syntax.

Clinton seems to have escaped either kind of scrutiny--though he certainly
got chastized for his overintellectualizing the meaning of "is." And, as I
recall, people made fun of Carter's accent (and his encounter with a killer
rabbit), and Johnson's accent as well as his swearing.