Take 'em apart

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 1 10:32:14 UTC 2005

I've noticed that Bush refers to himself as *the* President,"  as in the example below, or as in "as *the* President, I believe that..." , rather than "as  President, I believe that ..."

 Margaret Lee
-----
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/07/20010702-12.html
THE PRESIDENT: Well, it's an unimaginable honor to be the
President during the 4th of July of this country. It means
what these words say, for starters. The great inalienable
rights of our country. We're blessed with such values in
America. And I -- it's -- I'm a proud man to be the nation
based upon such wonderful values. [etc.]
-----

--Ben Zimmer