Re:       Merriam Webster Unabridged

Wed Jun 1 19:46:10 UTC 2005

In a message dated 6/1/05 3:12:30 PM, paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU writes:

> Is this worth 30 dollars a year?
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/premium/mwunabridged/
>
> How does the Merriam-Webster Unabridged compared to the Random House
> Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, which I have on CD-ROM?
>
> Paul

I would say it is worth $30 per year (a) if you do not already have access
through a university or public library; (b) you need to check several
dictionaries for some of your needs; and (c) you do not take advantage of the bargain
rates for NOAD2 (just discussed on ADS-L).

I think that M-W3 is excellent, as is the (free) online American Heritage. It
was my understanding that Random House has got out of the dictionary
business, so whatever you have is probably not up to date.

My favorite is NOAD. I should tell you, however, that I am on the Editorial
Advisory Board of NOAD (Geoffrey Nunberg, are you listening?)