a "nonce" story--and another faux acronym?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 2 15:32:03 UTC 2005

Over on the forensic linguistics list, Kate Haworth posted the
following, regarding Ron Butters's (standard) use of "for the nonce":

=======
On a slightly related note, I'm always bemused by colleagues from
over the pond using the term 'nonce' (see below). My understanding of
this word, from my heady days of criminal defence in Liverpool, is as
prison slang for paedophile. Am I alone in this?

Kate Haworth
PhD Student,
School of English Studies,
Nottingham
========

So of course various posters responded, including me--

========
..."nonce" is a standard term for either 'current occasion/moment',
so "for the nonce" = 'for now', or as part of a nominal compound
"nonce word" = one time only coinage, i.e. a word invented for the
occasion.  It's cognate with "once" and ultimately with "one".  Might
you be thinking of "nance", as in "nancy boy"?
=========

--and another who pointed out that while the OED does connect Kate's
"nonce" with "nance", "nancy boy", it is indeed a well-established
spelling in her sense.  But what's interesting for our purposes is
the following response.  Am I correct in supposing that this
unpacking of "nonce" as deriving from the acronym below just one more
etymythology to add to our roster?

Larry

--- begin forwarded text