"Doom and Gloom"

Fri Jun 3 09:15:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:40:47 -0400, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
wrote:

>Oxford University Press reference works vary in quality from the
>magnificent (like the Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary
>of American Legal Quotations) to the less magnificent, so one is often
>unsure of where in the spectrum a given new book lands.  I am looking at
>the Oxford Dictionary of Idioms, s.v. "doom and gloom," and see the
>following:
>
>"This expression, sometimes found as _gloom and doom_, was particularly
>pertinent to fears about a nuclear holocaust during the cold war period
>of the 1950s and 1960s.  It became a catchphrase in the 1968 film
>_Finian's Rainbow_."
>
>I doesn't see anything about "gloom and doom" in the "memorable
>quotations" listed for this film by Internet Movie Database.  Can anyone
>supply any information about how this phrase was used in "Finian's
>Rainbow"  and how it became a catchphrase?

The OED has this from the script of the musical:

-----
1947 HARBURG & SAIDY Finian's Rainbow I. ii. 32 Doom and gloom... D-o-o-m
and gl-o-o-m! Ibid. II. iv. 131, I told you that gold could only bring you
doom and gloom, gloom and doom.
-----

Yet another Oxonian reference, _The Oxford Dictionary of New Words_, gives
a bit more information:

-----
gloom and doom
noun phrase
Also in the form doom and gloom (Business World)(Politics)
A feeling or expression of despondency about the future; a grim
prospect, especially in political or financial affairs.

Etymology:  A quotation from the musical Finian's Rainbow (1947,
turned into a film in 1968), in which Og the pessimistic