Sloppy Joe-the sandwich (1944)-Cuba?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Jun 3 23:23:56 UTC 2005

>Perhaps this one will get into the next edition of someone's food book.
>
>I think the earliest cite(1946) so far is Barry's.  He correctly noticed
>that it seemed to originate in Ohio.
>
>The connection to the popularity of "Sloppy Joe's" bar in Havanna the
>previous 30 or more years was always tempting.  Perhaps now we have proof.
>
>>>From Newspaperarchive-- _The Coshocton(OH) Tribune_  29 Oct, 1944, p. 11,
>>columns 3 & 5.  Both are advertisements.
>
>>>From col. 3
>
>       SLOPPY JOES' -10 cents
>       Originated in Cuba
>       You'll ask for more
>       THE HAMBURGER SHOP

>and, from column 5
>
>       SLOPPY JOES' ..10 cents
>       "Hap" is introducing
>       The New Sandwich At
>       The HAMBURG Shop
>       SLOPPY JOES' 10 CENTS
>
>Of course, we still don't know from these cites if the "Sloppy Joes' "
>>from these cites are the sloppy joes we know from the last 30 or more
>years.
>
>Sam Clements
I don't know what connection, if any, this has with the sandwich, but
"Sloppy Joe (or Jo?)" was the term for the oversized pullover sweater (worn
with the sleeves pushed up & a small bead necklace, usually pearls), which
was the virtual uniform of adolescent girls in the early forties -- at
least from '42. Bobby socks and saddle shoes completed the acceptable look.
A. Murie