Re:       Re: Ethics and Disclosures2

Sat Jun 4 00:26:28 UTC 2005

Most people I have heard from on this issue seem to believe that medical
research--or any research where the public may be directly affected by a published
article (as distinct from the legal proceedings that may have engendered
it)--needs somewhat stricter adherence to policies of revelation of possible
conflict of interest than does linguistic research. This is no doubt why the
Linguistic Society of America has never instituted a policy, despite Dr. Nunberg's
erstwhile attempt, and perhaps also why he "dropped the ball"--it didn't seem
important enough to anyone to pursue it.

Even so, I agree almost totally with Dr. Nunberg here. In any case, it is
easy enough to add a footnote to a published article, and it is often not
apparent that an author had a connection with a law firm. However, I continue to feel
it necessary to insist that "incentives" are not only financial, and that,
indeed, partisanship engendered by zealousness for a particular social or
political cause can be just as damaging, if not moreso.

Another thing (again, echoing Larry Solan's posting) that any official policy
should consider is that the research somewhere in the background to the
"conclusions" that one comes to in a scholarly article may be relatively remote
from the "conclusions" that one came to in court. One should no doubt err on the
side of purity and virtue of course, as Larry suggested. But it is not
necessarily a simple matter.

Finally, as relates to this list-serve and to the American Dialect Society,
it seems to me that this is not really the place to continue this discussion
further. I have already explained why I believe that Dr. Nunberg's charge of an
ethical lapse on my part with respect to this list-serve is not valid. He has
never answered that, and no one else has agreed with him. I assume that, if
the person who manages this list felt that I had been unethical, he would have
reprimanded me. So, I consider that matter closed.

I have already made it clear that I have never (to my knowledge) published an
article in violation of the code of ethics that Dr. Nunberg proposes that we
now implement, and that I thank him--I'm sure we all thank him--for raising
the issue of ethics in publication, and I suggest that he take the matter up
with the Executive Committee of the American Dialect Society (if he is a member)
if he has proposals to make about ADS publications.

I have also already made it clear that I accept Dr. Nunberg's proposal that I
join with him to bring the matter before the Linguistic Society of America.
He has not yet responded to me about that.

I propose, then, that we end this thread on this list-serve, and take the
question to more appropriate venues.