Sloppy Joe-the sandwich (1944)-Cuba?

Sat Jun 4 02:36:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:19:54 -0400, Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM> wrote:

>>From the _Mansfield(OH) News Journal_, 27 March, 1940, p. 14, col. 4
>(Again, an advertisement).
>
>    HAMILTON'S
>             New
>   SANDWICH BAR
>       Featuring
>           5 cent
>           Hot Dogs---
>          Barbecues---
>          Sloppy Joes
>    Over 30 Different Kinds
>      of Sandwiches
>
>So, I still say the sandwich came from Cuba, and the bar called Sloppy
>Joe's, a favorite with Americans. before the war.

How do we know there's no connection with the Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key West
frequented by Hemingway in the '30s?

A current Key West bar named Captain Tony's Saloon claims to be the true
successor of the original Sloppy Joe's and recently settled a lawsuit with
another bar down the block using the "Sloppy Joe's" name.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/26/State/Hemingway_s_old_haunt.shtml
http://www.capttonyssaloon.com/truth.html

--Ben Zimmer