"Sock It to Me"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jun 5 03:05:24 UTC 2005

This was indeed the chorus. However, I know of no reason to believe
that Aretha's "Respect" is either the origin or even the popularizer of
the contemporary meaning of the phrase. It was used as a catch phrase
on the TV show, "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In." This is a far more likely
source for the general public than the song. "Respect," given that
Aretha had not yet crossed the color line at that time. From the BBC
Comedy Guide: "The series [1967-1973]  was stuffed full of recurring
characters, skits and, in particular, _catch phrases_, all of which
were soon ringing around the school-halls and workplaces of America.
These included _'Sock it to me'_ (usually said by the
American-domiciled British actress Judy Carne, who duly became known as
the 'sock it to me girl')..." Before that, it was a common -
undocumented, needless to say - slang term amongst the colored.

-Wilson Gray