"Be careful what you wish for" (1976)

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Jun 5 05:00:33 UTC 2005

> Poster:       bapopik at AOL.COM
> BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR--166,000 Google hits, 44,500 Google Groups
> hits
> How can there be so many hits, and this only goes back to 1976??

"Be careful what you wish for in your youth," says an aphorism of Goethe's
by which I have long been haunted, "for you will get it in your middle-age."
        Leslie A. Fiedler, No! in Thunder: Essays on Myth and Literature,
Beacon Press, 1960, p. 169.

Paul
Paul Frank
English translation
from Chinese: humanities and the social sciences
from German, French, and Spanish: sinology
www.languagejottings.blogspot.com
e-mail: paulfrank at post.harvard.edu