"Be careful what you set your heart upon"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 5 05:52:35 UTC 2005

Queries and Answers
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 28, 1932. p. BR31 (1 page) :
_"What You Set Your Heart Upon"_
D. F.--Wanted, the location of these lines: "Beware what you set your heart upon, for it will surely be thine."
Queries and Answers; Queries and Answers
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 20, 1932. p. BR28 (2 pages) :
_"What You Set Your Heart Upon"_
LOUELLA D. EVERETT, Boston, Mass.--Answering D. F.'s query of Feb. 28, the lines, "Be careful what you set your heart upon, for some day it will be yours," are credited to Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I am unable
(Continued on Page 31)
to find them in the books of his I have.

In his poem, "Longing," James Russell Lowell writes:
The thing we long for, that we are
For one transcendent moment.
Queries and Answers; Queries and Answers
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 18, 1932. p. BR29 (2 pages)
_"What You Set Your Heart Upon"_
M. BECKHARD, New York City--The quotation from Emerson wanted by S. E. B. (Aug. 28) is probably the following from his essay on "Fate":

...the moral is that what we seek we shall find; ... as Goethe said: "What we wish for in youth come in heaps on us in old age, too often cursed with the granting of our prayer; and hence the high caution that since we are sure of having what we wish we beware to ask only of high things."
Quotation's Source
JOSEPH VAN SUCH JR. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jul 14, 1966. p. A4 (1 page) :
Since 1938, I've been trying to find the source and author of the following:

"Beware of what you set your heart upon, For it shall surely be thine."

Thanks to the person who can give me the information I seek.

JOSEPH VAN SUCH, JR.
5136 Marathon St., Apt. 105,
Hollywood.
Q:
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 8, 1970. p. BR20 (1 page)
J.R.C. is trying to locate the source of the following quotation: "Beware what you set your heart upon for it shall surely be yours."