Shuysters and Skinners (1845)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jun 6 14:16:56 UTC 2005

   Benjamin Zimmer's spottings of early attestations are always interesting.
His 1845 "shuyster" below is only the second example I have of this term being spelled with "-uy-."  The other example is from 1856, cited in Craigie-Hulbert's _Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles._

    As for where the 1845 passage first appeared, I doubt it was in a NYC newspaper.  The mainstream NYC press in 1845 wouldn't touch "shyster"  with the proverbial ten-foot pole.  Still, whoever produced the passage below was familiar both with the Tombs (NYC courthouse and jail) and with the "shysters"
(original meaning: lowlifes who ran a scam on the prisoners) being on the periphery of the legal profession.

    Evidently the writer of the passage below was generally familiar with the Tombs and the shysters but did not read Mike Walsh's _The Subterranean_, which by the fall of 1843 had fixed the spelling of "shyster" in its present form.
And Walsh, the courageous editor to whom we largely owe this term (he sharlply criticized the scam practiced against the prisoners) never spelled the term with -uy-.

   Also, btw, Mr. Van Witherem in the passage below is most likely a fictitious name, invented to add to the humor (based on the verb "wither," i.e., his words (humorously) had a withering effect on those he criticized; and -em = them.) Cf. the names in the modern (fictitious) lawfirm Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.

Gerald Cohen
author, two monographs on the origin of the term "shyster"
(Barry Popik has since added some new material in article form,
but the basic picture on the origin of "shyster" still seems valid after these ca. 22 years.

            Original message, from Benjamin Zimmer, June 6, 2005:
        <snip>-- coupled with our old friend "sh(u)yster", less than two years after its coinage: