undue/undo

Mon Jun 6 18:12:50 UTC 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 8:21 AM, Neil Crawford wrote:

> well if you pronounce it like that, why not spell it so?
>
> 'After we had finished watching the second movie, we took turns
> going into
> her bathroom and getting ready for bed and relieving ourselves of
> any undo
> pressures.'

"undue" >> "undo" is already in the eggcorn database.

> And is this an eggcorn? -- shuddering/shuttering
>
> 'Martha screamed out underneath me as I pumped her faster
> than before.  I could feel her shutter and arch her back up beneath
> me.'
>
> http://www.asstr.org/files/Collections/ASSTR_Collection/R_Hawk/
> R_Hawk.THE_CARLSON_SERIES_Jake_and_Christa's_Story.txt

it's a possible.  could just be a misspelling, turning on american
intervocalic flapping.  the question is whether users of this
spelling think shutters are involved.

there are a fair number of google hits for "I shutter" ("to think",
"at...", etc.).

i'll put it in the database as "questionable".

arnold