Shuysters and Skinners (1845)--name "Shuyster"?

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Tue Jun 7 00:57:00 UTC 2005

Name spelling is notoriously fluid.  A familysearch.org search for last name
shuyster using Soundex presents 53 names in the 1880 US census and the
International Index including shuster, shister, shuister, and shyster.
Shister is the most common, by far.  But, there is, in fact, a Henry
Shuyster, married in 18 April 1849 in Morgan, Ohio. This must be Roger's
granddad, right?

Jim

Mullins, Bill writes:

> It's as bona fide as anything else you'd find in Newsbank's "Early
> American Newspapers", I suppose.
> "All I know is what I read in the papers . . . ."

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University