"That's life (in the big city / in the swamp) !

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 7 12:35:35 UTC 2005

"That's life !" has been an ironic observation for decades in the face of reversal.  About twenty years ago I first heard the more sardonic elaboration "That's life in the big city !"  Not much later I heard the yet more cynical "That's life in the swamp !"

Do we have "firsts" for these ?

Google shows about 2000 hits for "...big city" but, incredibly, only TWO for "...in the swamp."
Am I really one of the super-elite for using this phrase regularly, or is it more widespread than Google might suggest?

JL