query about an isogloss (pos. "anymore") & a lexical gap

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Wed Jun 8 16:51:17 UTC 2005

Laurence Horn wrote, of the use of positive "anymore":
> And if the usage was in fact unconsciously transplanted there by Russo
> (from upstate NY, Illinois, Arizona, and/or Pennsylvania), is there a
> label for that, parallel to "anachronism" but referring to unintentionally
> superimposing one's own regional dialect on that of one's characters?
> It obviously happens a lot when British authors set novels in the U.S.
> or vice versa.  "Exoglossisms?"  (Don't everyone huzzah at once.)

I'd suggest "analinguism", to make the parallel as explicit as possible.
(Another member of the set: I've seen the word "anamundism" used by
critics of fantasy and science fiction, to describe attitudes or
phenomena inappropriate to the milieu of a story.)

(Yes, I realize "analinguism" is a Greco-Latin hybrid. Those who abhor
such may substitute... hmm, would it be "anastomism"?)

Jim Parish

Jim Parish