query about an isogloss (pos. "anymore") & a lexical gap

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Jun 8 17:22:45 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, June 8, 2005 11:51 AM -0500 Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
wrote:

> I'd suggest "analinguism", to make the parallel as explicit as possible.
> (Another member of the set: I've seen the word "anamundism" used by
> critics of fantasy and science fiction, to describe attitudes or
> phenomena inappropriate to the milieu of a story.)
>
> (Yes, I realize "analinguism" is a Greco-Latin hybrid. Those who abhor
> such may substitute... hmm, would it be "anastomism"?)

Well, yeah, but more importantly it raises the question: Would someone who
becomes obsessive about the whole thing be called "analingual retentive"?

(Or maybe not.)

Peter Mc.