"Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Jun 8 19:30:38 UTC 2005

Naturally, you are correct, as usual, dInIs. It's only that this is the
first and only time that I have ever heard this particular construction
used in real life as opposed to its use as an attention-grabber in the
old commercial. A minor quibble: wouldn't "grammatical" be a better
descriptor than "standard"?

How do you feel about a structure like "doesn't anybody ...?" Many
times, I've heard constructions like, "She's so mean and evil that
*can't anybody* stay with her." I considered them to be both
grammatical *and* standard - "can't nobody" would be non-standard -
until I heard a lecture in which Haj Ross pointed out that such
constructions are peculiar to BE. [And perhaps to other non-standard
dialects? Haj didn't say and I don't know.]

-Wilson