query about an isogloss (pos. "anymore") & a lexical gap

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 8 20:47:24 UTC 2005

At 10:22 AM -0700 6/8/05, Peter A. McGraw wrote:
>--On Wednesday, June 8, 2005 11:51 AM -0500 Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
>wrote:
>
>>I'd suggest "analinguism", to make the parallel as explicit as possible.
>>(Another member of the set: I've seen the word "anamundism" used by
>>critics of fantasy and science fiction, to describe attitudes or
>>phenomena inappropriate to the milieu of a story.)
>>
>>(Yes, I realize "analinguism" is a Greco-Latin hybrid. Those who abhor
>>such may substitute... hmm, would it be "anastomism"?)
>
>Well, yeah, but more importantly it raises the question: Would someone who
>becomes obsessive about the whole thing be called "analingual retentive"?
>
>(Or maybe not.)

Yeah, I think "analinguism" gets wiped out by homonymy/taboo
avoidance.  Besides which, even if we do avoid the anal- parse, ana-
is "before"*, and what we need here is 'elsewhere', whence my
suggestion of "exo-" as in "exoglossism" or, avoiding the Greco-Latin
hybrid, "exolinguism", although the latter is too redolent to me of
"exolinguistics", the study of extraterrestrial languages.

*The same objection would carry over to the SF "anamundism" Jim
mentions.  Granted, without the "ana-" we do lose the reference to
"anachronism", but such is life.