FW: Antedatings for BBC List

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 10 21:13:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Michael Quinion wrote:

> Now you know more about the background, please instruct me and other
> Brits on this list. Is there really no equivalent American euphemism
> like "something for the weekend"?

There are others on this list who know far more than I do about slang, but
let me answer as best I can.  I'm sure there are various euphemisms
for "condom" in American English, but I don't think there are any
elaborate ones like "something for the weekend" in general usage.  The
major euphemism in American English is the simpler "rubber."

Fred Shapiro