"Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Jun 10 15:10:51 UTC 2005

dInIs,

Constructions like "can't nobody" are so ubiquitous that I simply
assumed that there had to be a corresponding "proper-English" form, to
wit, "can't anybody," especially since "can't anybody" was used by my
late father, LlB, later JD, from the University of Wisconsin, and is
still used by my mother, MPSW from Washington University in St. Louis.
That is, their speech patterns had to have been influenced by the
"proper English" of white people in environments in which there were no
other black people to talk to. Hence, if my parents used "can't
anybody," then "can't anybody" must be "proper."

If I may use the Jeff Foxworthy series now being telecast by Comedy
Central as my source, I can state without fear of contradiction that
your intuition that the "can't nobody" construction is not unique to BE
is unequivocally correct.

-Wilson