positive "anymore"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 12 03:47:22 UTC 2005

At 4:59 PM -0400 6/9/05, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Yes, I noted here a couple of times that I heard it even in my 70-plus aunt
>and uncle in LA and San Diego (transplants from Minnesota, where AFAIK it
>isn't used yet).
>
>Beverly
OK, I'm ready to concede on empirical evidence from listees that
Beverly's impression is correct, and my guess (based on the proximity
of Minnesota to Wisconsin) is not.  Maybe next time Garrison Keillor
needs a shibboleth to distinguish Minnesotans from Cheeseheads, he
should tap this one.  Well, at least it appears that my impression of
Mainers (beyond the town limits of Richard Russo's Empire Falls)
being outside the isogloss is on firmer ground.

Larry