Etymology of "Ska"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 12 18:28:24 UTC 2005

At 9:17 AM -0400 6/12/05, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>I also have this /l/ in my mind's ear. As I reproduce it in my own
>mouth, it seems 1) to have a backer tongue-tip contact than is usual
>(perhaps even slightly retroflexed, touching behind rather than on
>the alveolar ridge) and 2) to have a geminate or "long" /l/ in the
>second /l/ of the word.
>
>I am surer about the second than the first, since a variety of
>articulatory positions might achieve the same acoustic effect.
>
>dInIs

Absolutely right--perfect description.  I was also thinking the
effect was stronger on the second /l/, and the gemination is
definitely part of it.  One especially nice thing about this list is
the constant reassurance that my brain isn't the only one that still
stores all these vital records (scratched as they may sometimes be).

Larry