Lapskous (1947) and Lapskous Boulevard (1969)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 13 00:44:20 UTC 2005

LAPSKAUS--13,900 Google hits, 433 Google Groups hits
_http://www.barrypopik.com/artic
le/1021/lapskaus-boulevard-eighth-avenue-bay-ridge_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1021/lapskaus-boulevard-eighth-avenue-bay-ridge)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1020/norwegian-american-day-parade_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1020/norwegian-american-day-parade)
I just added about 20 entries to my web page today, from "Lapskaus" to
"Mermaid Parade" and "Gothamland."
"Lapskaus" is not, of course, in the OED ("miserable on food"). This is  part
of my effort to solve every problem from every place and every culture
around the world for free in my spare time, when I'm not adjudicating parking
tickets ten hours a day in a room with no air conditioning or even air..
_http://www.scandinavian-museum.org/about/about.htm_
(http://www.scandinavian-museum.org/about/about.htm)
Many people remember the days when Trinity Lutheran  Church on 46th St. and
4th Ave.in Brooklyn had 1,000 children in their Sunday  School. Many people
regret the loss of Eighth Avenue as the main Norwegian  thoroughfare, known as
"Lapskaus Boulevard", which thronged with Norwegian  stores and restaurants. A
Scandinavian community has existed in the Sunset Park,  Bay Ridge and Dyker
Park communities for over 300 years. The Norwegians  physically and spiritually
built these communities and built them to  last.
_http://www.norway-times.com/2004_Main_Stories/Main_story_13.html_
(http://www.norway-times.com/2004_Main_Stories/Main_story_13.html)

Issue 13, March 31,  2004:
The Last of the Norwegians
on  Lapskaus Boulevard
The lilt of Norwegian, taste of  fish cakes, and sight of Norwegian seamen
strolling along Eighth Avenue, have  been replaced by the high-pitch of Chinese,
taste of egg cakes and sight of  thousands of Chinese shoppers scurrying to
gather their groceries.

By  VICTORIA HOFMO
8th Avenue, Brooklyn
Eighth Avenue, once known  colloquially as Lapskaus Boulevard (a Norwegian
salted beef stew), due to its  high concentration of Norwegians, is losing its
last vestige of the old  neighborhood. Signy’s Imports, an Scandinavian
specialty shop, is closing.
_http://www.brooklynsoc.org/revealingpictures/KRASE01.html_
(http://www.brooklynsoc.org/revealingpictures/KRASE01.html)
A few decades ago this part of Sunset Park, now considered "Brooklyn's
Chinatown," was an old Scandinavian (Norwegian) neighborhood and was referred to
by locals as Lapskaus Boulevard. Lapskaus is a Norwegian beef stew. Today one
has to search very hard to find signs of their eighty-year long dominance. One
 ethnic fossil is a small variety store on Eight Avenue that has a lute fisk
sign  in the window. On field trips to the neighborhood, I had to explain to
my  students that lute fisk is a dish, served especially during the Christmas
holidays, that is made from salted dried cod. Other signs of this senior
ethnic  group are the Protestant (Lutheran) churches in the neighborhood that, now
in  Chinese characters or en Espanol, announce religious and other services.
In a  few instances, students also found Scandinavian names such as "Larsen"
displayed  in the front of neatly landscaped single-family houses on some of the
side  streets.
_http://niaexhibit.com/heritagehall.html_
(http://niaexhibit.com/heritagehall.html)
HERITAGE HALL is located in a wing of the Norwegian  Christian Home & Health
Center, recently remodeled to a state-of-the-art  facility. If interested, you
will be able to have a guided tour of this  beautiful complex. As you go
home, you can drive along 8th Avenue (called  Lapskaus Boulevard* by
Norwegian-Americans), to see how it has changed from a  totally Norwegian population to one
almost entirely Chinese!
23 August 1947, Chicago <i>Daily Tribune</i>, pg. 13:
<i>A Recipe for Lapskaus,</i>
<i>a Norwegian Goulash</i>
"Lapskous" is a favorite Norwegian dish, similar to a goulash, and before
some Norwegian cook writes to tell me this recipe isn't the right one, let me
say that it was sent to me a few years back by the Royal Norwegian Information
service, which should make it authentic!

<i>Lapskaus [a Norwegian goulash]</i>
<i>[Sox servings]</i>
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup fat
2 pounds potatoes, pared and diced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
30 April 1948, Los Angeles <i>Times</i>, pg. A5:
There were steaming bowls of Lapskaus, a Norwegian stew, also.
29 October 1969, New York <i>Times</i>, "The Question in Bay  Ridge: Who Will
Get the Anti-Lindsay Vote?" by Michael T. Kaufman, pg. 50;
There are said to be more Norwegians here than in Oslo, most of them living
near Eighth Avenue, which is sometimes called Lapskaus Boulevard after a
Norwegian beef stew. The Norwegians are the smallest of the major ethnic  groups.

17 March 1991, New York <i>Times</i>, pg. 36:
<i>In Brooklyn, Wontons, Not Lapskaus</i>
By ANDREW L. YARROW
(...)
For years, the Atlantic was the hub of a stretch of Eighth Avenue between
45th and 60th Streets that was dotted with dozens of Norwegian bars, bakeries
and restaurants. But in the 1980's, a Chinese and Arab immigrants moved in,
Chinese restaurants and meat markets supplanted almost all the Norwegian
businesses along the street that was popularly known as Lapskaus Boulevard, a
reference to a meat-and-potatoes stew that was a staple of the Norwegian  worker's
diet.
(...)