supercede

Tue Jun 14 17:22:40 UTC 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:21 AM, dInIs wrote:

> arnold,
>
> There is at least one more reason (other than saving your valuable
> time) why you should stop messing with 'supercede,' as MW tells us:
>
>  Etymology: Middle English superceden
>
> Course, Latin and French have the 's.'
>
> dInIs
>
> PS: This would also please the 'things oughta be like they uster'
> crowd.

but there's no pleasing them folks.  my campaign to restore /t/
(rather than theta) in words like "author" and "theatre" has gotten
nowhere.  i produce middle english, french, and latin, and these guys
just drive it back to greek.

for supercede/supersede, latin trumps middle english.

a lot depends on what you mean by "uster".

arnold