"Sock It to Me"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jun 14 22:24:11 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Mark A. Mandel wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Sock It to Me"
> --------
>
> Wilson writes:
>>>>>>
> FWIW, Ray Sharpe, OTOH, struck me as a black man who sang like a white
> man.
>  <<<<<
>
> How 'bout Mose Allison?

As a black man who sings like a white man? I didn't realize that he was
black, though I have no problem accepting that he is, by virtue of the
one-drop rule. If that rule was dropped [no pun intended], I'd find
myself in a different "race" from some of my cousins and from my late
grandparents.

-Wilson Gray