"Is you is or is you ain't?" (1921)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Jun 15 04:02:11 UTC 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 1:12 AM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Is you is or is you ain't?" (1921)
> --------
>
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:27:52 -0400, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
>
>> And what is it that's supposed to be "humorous" in this fiction? Its
>> content or the fact that it's written in "black dialect"?
>
> That wasn't meant to be a personal evaluation of his work. I was
> cribbing
> from this site: <http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/lpop/cohen.html>. I
> have no
> clue why this sort of stuff was considered "humorous" at the time. The
> past is a different country, as they say...

That's true.

> Regardless of his attempts at humor through racist caricature, I
> wonder if
> he was picking up on an actual locution he had heard with "Is you is
> or is
> you ain't?" Perhaps this was a common jocular expression that Louis
> Jordan
> then put to song two decades later.

It's certainly not impossible that an expression could live for twenty
years. I know the expression only as the title of a song. I've never
heard it used in natural speech, but that could be mere coincidence.
The expression, "ripping and running," which I first heard from my
grandparents, who were born in the 19th century, is still in use,
today. Literally. I heard it used by a black woman on today's Maury
Show. Ob the other hand, Jordan simply could have made up the phrase
independently.

>> Did Mr.Cohen live long enough to become familiar with the "Carolina
>> Israelite"?
>
> Cohen died in 1959, so he would have been alive for Harry Golden's
> heyday,
> but I don't know if their politics agreed.

You never know.

-Wilson Gray