dummy 'it'

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jun 16 03:03:02 UTC 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Matthew Gordon wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Matthew Gordon <gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU>
> Subject:      dummy 'it'
> --------
>
> Can someone give me the standard line and/or references on the
> analysis of
> "it" in sentences such as:
>
> "Who is it?" in response to a knock on the door
> "What is it?" with the meaning of "what's wrong?"
>
> Labov in his classic article on copula deletion and contraction refers
> this as "dummy it" (and of course notes that contraction/deletion is
> not
> permitted in this context).

Back in the 'Forties, there was a comic-book character named "McSnurtle
the Turtle." When there was evil going on, McSnurtle doffed his shell
and became the superhero, Mr. Terrific What's It, a kind of parody of
The Flash. That there was something odd about "What's It" was clear to
me even then, though I was only a fourth-grader at a time when
"ungrammatical" referred to the use of "ain't" or the use of multiple
negatives.

-Wilson Gray