'We' for 'I' in writing

Fri Jun 17 02:01:44 UTC 2005

If we have discussed this before, I apologize. What I want to know is how one
might communicate to the folks who created MicrosoftWord's grammar checker
that some of their advice is totally crazy. For example, in a legal document I
wrote:

"During the academic year 2005–6 I will chair both the Linguistics Program
and the Department of English at Duke. ..."

Word insists that this should be changed to read, "During the academic year
2005–6 we will chair both the Linguistics Program and the Department of English
at Duke. ..."

I have gained a little weight since January, but not enough to qualify me as
plural. Nor am I the queen of England (who is reported to have once said, "We
and our husband are glad"). Nor am I a nurse--who apparently can get away with
saying things like "It is time for our enema" (oh, but that is a different
'we'--here it means 'you'). Could this be some kind of Yankee reflex of the
mysterious, ghostly, singular Y'ALL?

Does ANYBODY teach students to write papers in which they refer to themselves
as crowds of people or stuffy old queens? That is soooo 1930s, it seems to me
(us?)