Soup Sandwich; When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Jun 18 21:57:04 UTC 2005

        Robert Heinlein used "When in danger or in doubt . . . Run in
circles, scream and shout" in Time Enough for Love in 1973 and liked it
enough that he used it again in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls in 1985.
I don't know whether it was original with him or not.  Here's the
context from Time Enough for Love:

        <<"No ship and no assets - what do you _do_?  Remember, I'm
depending on you - or I'm stuck back in the Dark Ages.  What do you do?"

        "'When in danger or doubt . . Run in circles, scream and shout'"
recited Dora.>>

        Note the use of single quotes and the word "recited," indicating
that Dora is quoting, which I suppose is still consistent with the
possibility that Heinlein made it up.  My recollection from reading Time
Enough for Love in the 1970s was that the phrase began "When in danger
or IN doubt," but Amazon.com's version lacks the "in" before "doubt."

John Baker